How to improve the user engagement of your DAM
The purpose of any technology is to make life easier for its users and meet certain productivity goals for a business. Many businesses implement a DAM system with quite a bit of fanfare and a great many expectations. But the outcomes are far from desired.
In this article, let’s understand the common challenges that businesses face with their DAM system. Also, how you can overcome those roadblocks to get company employees to fully utilize the Digital Asset Management system to their advantage.
Common challenges in DAM user engagement
As the DAM manager, are you disheartened by the performance and user-adoption rate of your DAM system? This is one of the most common challenges faced by businesses that implement a Digital Asset Management solution. Let’s look at the common reasons for poor DAM adoption:
- There are times when some users do not know about the existence of a DAM system or how to use it.
- On other occasions, many employees find the features and functionality of the DAM system too complicated to use.
- Also, users often find it uncomfortable to use the DAM solution because of its bland look and feel and poor quality of user interface.
- Since typical DAM solutions aren’t on-brand, many users feel a sense of disconnect when accessing the company’s brand assets in such a system.
- Many DAM solutions lack a reliable and stable system and do not have enough data fields which are necessary for easy downloading and sharing of content assets.
How to achieve optimum DAM user adoption?
Optimum utilization of the DAM system assures you of its success in getting you the desired business outcomes. Let’s now learn about the steps that a DAM manager can take to ensure the right level of user affinity and usage level on a company’s DAM system.
Introduce the DAM system to employees and stakeholders
As the DAM manager of your company, you have a clear picture of the benefits and usage of a Digital Asset Management solution, but your colleagues and company stakeholders aren’t aware of those advantages.
- Create a communication strategy to launch the DAM system alongside its implementation.
- The goal should be to build a case for the DAM solution by educating all team members and stakeholders some of its key features and uses.
- Talk about the time-saving and productivity benefits of the DAM solution.
- Get functional heads and key stakeholders to use the system during this phase so they can share their valuable suggestions and feedback.
- You need to go slow at rolling out the DAM solution. Start with one department at a time. The strategy helps track all possible workflow issues so you can resolve them before going for a full-fledged kick-off.
Dispose the old system
There is an old file storage system and switching to a new one may not be easy for anyone in the organization or outside of it. That’s why you need to have a well-defined plan to discard the old and bring in the new DAM system.
- For instance, you can start by defining a date for the new DAM system to be up and running.
- The strategy gives everyone the time to prepare themselves to start using the new system.
- A clever way is to keep tabs on all the content assets so you can quickly export everything in the new DAM system before doing away with the old mechanism.
Be clear about usage guidelines and policies of your DAM
One of the things that deter employees and stakeholders from using the DAM system is lack of information or guidelines around it. Here are steps you can take:
- The first step is to work towards creating a DAM usage policy document.
- It includes details like how content assets are stored, the process of downloading and sharing files, and permissions.
- The usage policy document should have a sample workflow to educate the users about how to start using the system.
- It also states the key advantages of regularly using the DAM system.
Next, you need to organize training sessions for internal teams and external stakeholders.
- Create a knowledge base and a set of FAQs to make it easy for everyone to use the system.
- Organize free lunch and training meetings to motivate teams to learn and eventually become proactive at using the DAM system.
- Appoint DAM champions to lead the training sessions and ensure optimum system usage.
- Create video content to make learning simpler for all stakeholders. You need to send follow-up communication along with tutorial videos to facilitate the process and ensure better DAM user-ownership.
Like any other software, you need to have a process for query resolution.
- Have a separate section in the DAM system for suggestions, feedback, and complaints.
- A good way is to choose DAM support specialists to work on answering questions and resolving users’ problems at the earliest.
- Automated surveys can also work well to help improve the features and functionality of the platform.
There are more tips that we need to share with the DAM community?
Don’t hesitate to contact me.
Sharing is caring!
Grow your knowledge
Join hundreds of marketing and brand professionals. Keep up-to-date with the hottest news regarding content portals, brand experience and digital touchpoints. Don’t miss out!